Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Spring Cleaning


Cobwebs.

Once I wrote and it was easy. There was a blog and it was reasonably entertaining and enjoyed by many (figuratively speaking) on the other side of the world. It was a regular occurrence, this blog. Some looked forward to it, some left comments, some glanced at the pictures and moved on, but all were puzzled when it mysteriously ceased to exist.

Why?

What happened to the Suwonteacher and why did he disappear? Where the hell did he go? Why the hell am I referring to myself in the third person? And what the hell do cobwebs have to do with anything?

Well, I’ll answer the latter question presently, but the formers will be answered in time… or forgotten about altogether. BLANK. My head goes through phases where I blank out completely now. There are small remnants of sharp, clear thinking that is required for writing, yet they are buried beneath the ummmmmm, cobwebs? When something sits for so long without being used it is bound to gather dust so now it is time to clean out the attic and get to work.
But, wait a second… I am at work. I’m sitting at my office desk. I just glanced out the window and there’s a snow-covered mountain outside. This office is clean, new, and state-of-the-art. I’m the only foreigner in the entire facility—and it’s a HUGE facility. I’m still in a daze, waiting to wake up from this weird dream. Did I just say snow-covered mountain? It’s MARCH! I must be dreaming, because one year ago I said I would never return to Korea. Whether this is a dream or not, there is no doubt about this: I am definitely back in Korea… and happy about it.

The daze set in again. It comes in waves and overwhelms at times. I can’t attribute this particular daze to the cobwebs, however. [BLANK STARE. BLINK BLINK] This particular brain cloud is a product of being two days removed from a journey that started at 3:45am Saturday morning in St Louis and ended up in Seoul, South Korea three airports and 26 hours later. Arrival time at Hana Academy Seoul: Sunday 8:45pm. First class: Monday 10am. I hate to use the words “brutal” and “merciless” but [BLINK BLINK] ummmmmmmm…. Forgot what I was saying...

The saving grace for me the first couple of days was the students and teachers, who are amazing, and the facilities--even better. This particular high school is privately owned and operated by Hana Bank and is very exclusive. The students had to apply and for every one accepted seven and one half were rejected. I kinda feel sorry for the ones that were chopped in half—poor dumb dead bastards. The students that made the cut (nothing to do with the last sentence) did so because they have talent and are serious about their studies. The facilities here are first-class and the school is nestled on the north side of Bukhansan (san=mountain.) There are windows everywhere and a beautiful mountain view in nearly every room. Having these things, I didn’t mind the jet-lag so much and made it through my first day of classes unscathed.

The second day came and went with more of the same. I woke up and the mountain was outside my window. I went to class and the students were great. I started an afternoon class where I tutor other teachers who aren’t as strong in English and am enjoying our interaction. The faculty overall have been extremely friendly and I’ve enjoyed dining with them in the cafeteria, where they provide three meals a day (Two, actually. I do a protein shake for breakfast.).

Have I landed in some sort of teaching Utopia?? No. I’ve landed in Korea. There will be challenges this year and I’m sure there will be times where my patience will be pushed to the limits. However, I am way ahead of where I was the first go-around and light years away from my dank, crummy apartment in Suwon. And most importantly, I’ve begun to dust off the cobwebs.

2 comments:

  1. Soooo happy to see your blog again, and privileged to be the first to comment. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. from the other half of the ucity2, i'd like to say... Hurray! i mean that sincerely.

    ReplyDelete